Thursday, May 29, 2014

Fruity Blackberry Salad Dressing






I can't imagine having some fruit around and not tossing it on a fresh salad. And what could be a better topping for a fruit-studded salad than a fruity dressing?

Is it just a girly thing to love fruit on salad? I think it must be because Hannah and I are the only two people in our house who will eat our salad with fruit on it. Everyone else things it's crazy - and everyone else just happens to be male!

Anyway, I can't imagine having some fruit around and not tossing it on a fresh salad. And what could be a better topping for a fruit-studded salad that a fruity dressing? Really!

I can't imagine having some fruit around and not tossing it on a fresh salad. And what could be a better topping for a fruit-studded salad than a fruity dressing?

Since we have plenty of blackberries in the freezer, I decided to give them a try for a new dressing recipe. It turned out to be a delicious idea.

I like to use olive oil in my dressings, but decided to give grape seed oil a try this time. I've used it once before and enjoyed the lighter flavor. And instead of using vinegar, I kept my fruity theme going and chose lemon juice. The result? A light and highly fruity dressing that just happens to be beautiful too!

To make the dressing, begin by making a blackberry syrup:

1 c. blackberries, fresh or frozen
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. water

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Cool slightly and blend together in a blender or - my favorite - with a stick blender. Cover and store in the refrigerator.

I can't imagine having some fruit around and not tossing it on a fresh salad. And what could be a better topping for a fruit-studded salad than a fruity dressing?

Fruity Blackberry Dressing

3/4 c. grape seed oil
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. blackberry syrup
1/2 t. salt

Combine all ingredients together and blend well. Store in the refrigerator.

I can't imagine having some fruit around and not tossing it on a fresh salad. And what could be a better topping for a fruit-studded salad than a fruity dressing?

How about you - do you enjoy fruit on your salads?


This post may be linked at these great parties.

18 comments:

  1. I make salad with fruit in it quite often - and have even served it for company. Never really thought about it being gender related!
    This looks like a recipe I want to try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are probably lots of guys out there who do - just none at my house! :)
      I hope you enjoy. Thanks for visiting Susan.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I like fruit with my salad too. I'm trying a new recipe and have mulberry vinegar and wild cherry vinegar infusing in my fridge. I hope they work for balsamic dressing, but now I want to give your version a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Jennifer! That sounds fabulous! I sometimes infuse with herbs, but haven't tried fruit. I'm feeling inspired!
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Yum! Pinned! I love a sweet salad dressing, and I just happen to have some grape seed oil in my pantry waiting to be used. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blair,
      I haven't used grape seed oil much, but really like it. Any suggestions for other ways to enjoy it?
      Thanks for visiting and pinning. I hope you enjoy the dressing.

      Delete
  4. I would have never thought to use blackberries in a dressing! How clever. I imagine this is quite delicious.

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a blessed day Karen.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I enjoy it a lot and, around here, I have it nearly all to myself! :)
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Blackberries are one of my family's favorite fruit so this dressing sounds right up our alley. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday Linky party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jade for visiting. I really enjoy the dressing and hope your family will to. I loved joining the party and look forward to linking up again next week. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious! I would love for you share it on my Tasty Tuesday recipe link up here! Everything gets pinned and I would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to join your link up. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  7. This looks so delicious!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I had a great time at your party and look forward to joining in again. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  8. This looks and sounds so yummy! I will have to try this. Pinned. Thanks again! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy it Kimberly and think anyone who enjoys fruity dressing will too. Thanks for pinning! Looking forward to joining your party again this week!

      Delete
  9. We often add fruit and cheese to our salads, and omit the dressing entirely! I prefer light dressings like this to heavier, fattier creamy dressing when I do add dressing.
    Thank you for linking up to Farmer's Market Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea. I especially appreciate a lighter, fruity dressing during the summer.
      Thank you for hosting. It's always a pleasure to join.

      Delete