Thursday, June 12, 2014

DIY Bathroom Cleaner






I am all about safer cleaning products, and when it comes to my children handling and using them, it becomes even more important to me.

Since we had a graduate this year that kept me busy during May getting ready for graduation, we still have a few loose ends to tie up for our school year with the rest of the children.

Still, we are sliding into our summer routine, and that means re-evaluating our cleaning routine (or lack thereof!) and providing people with new cleaning experience opportunities. (Does that make it sound more exciting? - I don't think they're going for it.)

With a household of nine people, and two spunky indoor kittens, we have plenty of opportunities to clean things up. I'm all about safer cleaning products, and when it comes to my children handling and using them, it becomes even more important to me. Even rough-and-tumble boys have delicate insides, and I don't want to fill their lungs with chemicals that are potentially harmful.

Enter my favorite bathroom cleaner recipe.

This cleaner has only 3 ingredients, and I can put it together in less than one minute.

1. water
2. castile soap
3. tea tree essential oil plus an optional additional oil of your choice

I use a quart spray bottle with ounce measurements on the side of the bottle. First, fill the bottle up to 22 ounces with water. Next, add 1/4 cup of liquid castile soap. Finally, add 20-25 drops of tea tree oil, and 15-20 drops of an optional oil. Screw on the top, and gently swish it around to mix. Top it off with additional water, and its ready to go.

I use tea tree oil because of its antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. That makes a great choice for the bathroom cleaning. I also like to add a second oil for fragrance. Tea tree oil is not a favorite of the children's, so using a second oil to temper it is always nice. Orange, lemon, or any citrus fragrance is great for cleaning.

This cleaner does require a bit of rinsing, but we tend to think bubbles equals clean. If you don't want to rinse, you can reduce the amount of castile soap.

I hope you will give our cleaner a try. Let me know how you like it!

This post may be linked at these great parties.

14 comments:

  1. I always make my own bathroom cleaners. I see castile soap in a lot of recipes for cleaners but I can never find it. Maybe it's not available in Canada?! So I use DAWN instead.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe (and for linking up to the SHINE Blog Hop).

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm…I didn't realize it was hard to find in Canada. It's readily available here in health food stores, but I usually order mine through a co-op I am a member of. If DAWN works for you - yeah!
      Thanks for visiting and hosting your Blog Hop. I always enjoy linking up with The Deliberate Mom.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of castle put have never used it. I'm pinning this one for later. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Starla,
      Castile soap is wonderful! I use it for more than just making cleaning products. I'll be posting more castile soap creations in the future. Thanks for visiting and pinning!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I'm in the process of getting rid of commercial cleaning products, so this is a timely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynnae,
      I'm so glad you stopped by and I hope the cleaner is just what you are looking for. Kudos to you for getting rid of the bad stuff! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds so easy! Thanks for joining Merry Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Marilyn, and works great too. I love joining the party - thanks for helping host a great one!

      Delete
  5. Cleaning Experience Opportunities, I like the sound of that! And it would eliminate the "I Don't Know How To's" that I seem to always get when the kids are asked to clean the bathrooms.
    Thank you for linking up to Farmer's Market Friday this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens at your house too? :)
      Thanks for stopping by Renee, and for hosting your party - its great!

      Delete
  6. This is awesome! Pinned. Thanks for being a part of our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm.. We truly love to have you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the party and have a great time joining each week. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment, and for the pin! :)
    See you again soon for your next party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have all these ingredients and will make my own cleaner now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great when you already have everything you need? :)
      I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete