Thursday, June 5, 2014

Trying Something New: Swiss Chard






Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

I have a  confession to make. Earlier this week was the first time I have ever cooked or eaten Swiss chard. Ever.

Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

I'm not really sure why I haven't. Maybe it's because it wasn't something I grew up eating, or that its just not a very common green where we live. Turnips or collards, even mustard greens - we know those! But, Swiss chard - not so much.

Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

When I ordered some cool weather crops last winter, I decided I wanted to give it a try. I just love the colorful stalks these bright greens produce.

Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

As the temperatures began to climb this spring, the spinach shot up its seed stalks. The lettuce seemed to become noticeably taller each day, preparing to go to seed as well. But, I was pleasantly surprised to find that neither the kale nor Swiss chard was following suit.

Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

When the plants got tall and bushy, it seemed like it was time to give it a try.

Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

First I diced up some onions and sautéed them in a bit of olive oil. Next, I washed and trimmed the chard, then chopped up the colorful stems and added them to the onions.

Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

While the onions and stems were browning, I cut the leaves.

Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

Finally, I tossed them in the skillet with a few dashes of salt and pepper and stirred until they wilted. I wasn't prepared for how quickly they wilted though - super fast.

Practically loaded with vitamins and minerals, Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse!

I'm not declaring chard a "girly" food, but only the females around here even gave it a try! We both thought it was great, and I was happy to learn that it a nutritional powerhouse, practically loaded with vitamins and minerals. I'll certainly continue to grow it each year and look for new ways to serve it.

So how do you enjoy Swiss chard? Do you have any recipes to share?

This post may be linked at these great parties.

This post was featured at Creative Mama, Messy House.

10 comments:

  1. I find chard one of the green vegetables I buy frequently. I like it because it is milder than kale, but heartier than spinach. I love it baked into frittatas or calzones with ricotta cheese. You can also remove the ribs and chiffonade it into a raw ribbon salad with carrots, raisins, and almonds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Renee - Thanks! What great sounding ideas. I think I'll try the salad next. Thanks for visiting and bringing such great suggestions.

      Delete
  2. I have seen swiss chard at the local farmer's market. I have never given it a try, but now I will thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Kathy. I'm still scouting around for some new recipes myself, and am eager to try the salad Renee suggested above - I just have to let it grow a bit more first. I'd love to hear how you like it! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. OOOOOOOOOOO! Wish I was growing some right now! Thanks for sharing over at Merry Mondays link party.-Treana @ houseofbennetts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Treana. I love joining the Merry Mondays Link Party!

      Delete
  4. I love trying new things! Pinned. Thanks again! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly. Thanks for pinning. It was fun to try a new flavor. I'm looking forward to the new party this week! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for these great ideas, I've never tried swiss chard!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million for visiting and pinning! I had a blast joining your party last week and look forward to joining in again. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete